The office biggest loser contest started today. I learned the rules. There is a $20.00 entry fee and the weakest loser each week has to put $5.00 more in the pot. The contest lasts until March 28th (12 weeks) . The winner takes the full pot.
Two things. First, I am sad that the contest didn’t begin on Monday. I would have an 8 pound lead and I am a bit Grumpy because some people waited until after the office lunch to weigh-in. I weighed in this morning so the after lunch crowd will have an inflated weight and a bit of a lead.
With my clothes on at work, there is about a 5 pound difference between the office scale and my home scale.
I had another big dip this morning. I’m on day 3 of Atkins, so I should be in ketosis by now. I’m hoping some additional water flees my body and helps give me a good start to the contest but almost 8 pound sin 2 days is probably just about all the water weight. I’m still going to hope for one more big WHOOSH.
I’m not sure how many people entered the contest. I did notice one guy in the contest who was eating fried chicken at lunch and popcorn at 3pm.
The contest gave me the incentive to skip the fried chicken, the bbq chicken, the dirty rice and the mac N cheese with french bread. I had a small salad for lunch.
Breakfast – Turkey burger with cheese
Lunch – Salad
Dinner – Baked chicken with salad
Snack – Turkey burger with cheese
Calories – 1500
I’ve had three good days in a row. It has been quite a while since I had three solid days in a row. The contest should get me a nice long string of days with no cheats.
Tip Of The Day / Welcome Resolutioners!
Until January 5th, I will be repeating the long list of start-up tips so that any newcomers will be able to see my guide to getting started. I will try to add 1 new tip each day to the list.
Competition Mode! Find someone to compete with. I’ve been in diet competitions with online friends, family and now my office. It makes losing weight much more fun and easier to do if you have a nice friendly competition.
I did some serious trash talking and I threatened to send a pizza to a couple of people at their homes. 😛
I also sent an email explaining the healthy nutritional value of fried chicken. 😀
Find or start a competition and use some of the tips below to take the victory!
1. Check with your doctor. I’m sure the doc will say to get on with it, but first make sure you aren’t constrained by health issues.
2. Research diets online and pick one that you really think you can stick with. If you are miserable 100% of the time, you will not make it. You need to find a happy medium between losing weight but doing it in a way that doesn’t make you unhappy all the time.
3. Clean out the fridge and pantry of all bad food. THROW IT AWAY! Do not wait until you finish all of the bad food to start the diet. Get rid of it now!
4. Start a food, calorie, weight and exercise journal. You need to be able to see what works and what doesn’t work and a journal will help.
5. Seek online support. It is all over the place on the internet and the best support comes from people going through the same pain in the keister.
6. Weigh yourself at LEAST once a week. I just read some stupid article that said you should not get hung up on the scale. WTH??? You need to be able to gauge your results and the scale is the only way to do it. If your diet isn’t working, you need to know that and you need to make adjustments.
6. B. Take body measurements. You might not want to do this at the start but those measurements will be a source of inspiration at a later date and they will soothe your soul when the scale refuses to budge even though you are doing everything right.
6. C. Take some before pictures and keep taking pictures along your journey to chart your progress.
7. Measure everything and read all labels. You need to know the caloric intake to know if you are actually operating on deficit calories.
8. Exercise is fine, BUT DON”T OVER DO IT! We tend to go overboard when we start diets and this leads to burn out. Take things very very very very very very very slowly. I did almost ZERO exercise the first year of my diet and I still lost over 100 pounds.
9. Always have a shopping list and never shop hungry.
10. Use smaller plates when eating.
11. Don’t take yourself too seriously and don’t rush the diet. Just do the best you can each day and one day you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.
12. When you make mistakes, don’t beat yourself up too much. Just make sure you don’t use a few days of cheating as an excuse to toss in the towel. Get back to work.
13. I would recommend Hermit Mode early in your diet but if you have to eat out, then you need to steer your friends to restaurants with healthy options. You need to check online for menus and figure out what is the best option. Then, you need to stick with that selection. Don’t even touch the menu at the restaurant. If you open the menu, chances are you will select something else so don’t touch the menu.
Happy Dieting, see you tomorrow
The Grumpy Man